Hello lovies…Today is looking like it would remain wet...The rain seemed like it would pour forever and I'm hoping it rains today.. I love rainy days though....everywhere always seems calm, friendly, cosy and beautiful. Everything about a rainy day seems just perfect apart from the fact that some places would be muddy and greasy.
Hmmmn…Story Story (hope you replied). This morning, I was having a little discomfort in my stomach like something would tear its way out so I ran to my mum (thank God she was around) so she could help. Now guys, I’ve never told you this but I think in my mum's former life, she was a nurse or doctor because she always has a remedy (mostly alternative to medicine….but she no be Babalawo oo! **raised eye brow**). My mum would cure your illness without prescribing any drug and one way or the other, her methods always worked. Don’t worry you would understand where this gist is going as you read on.
Back to the gist, I told my mum how I was feeling and guess what Iya Dayo (that’s how she’s fondly called) said...
Scene 1 Act 1
ME: mummy my stomach is paining me o (like she was the one that caused it).
IYA DAYO: Ehn put your saliva on your finger and place on your navel and rub in, you would feel better.
ME: *straight face* + *confused face* + WTF ( I didn’t say that out though)… More like this
IYA DAYO: Do it first and see if it will work or not. You children of nowadays will be acting as if you are smarter than us. When I was your age i.....
*CUT!!!!* And I was gone.
I didn't wait to listen to rest of “when she was my age” because if I did, there won't be any post today… that gist would end by tomorrow evening. My mother can gist for the Olympics and win gold medal. Another story for another day.Your question 'did I do it?…. Yes I did *turns face*. Don't know if it worked but I went to the toilet afterwards and I did feel better. And that brings us to today's gist; SUPERSTITION. To call something superstition is to say that it is an illogical and unfounded belief. Well I know I heard lots of them as a child and if you must know, I was also gullible then. I believed anything and everything. Below are some of I remember from my growing up days;
1) An itchy palm means money is coming. As a child, (even as a teenager sef) I was always happy when I felt my palm itch. It was not like I was working and was expecting money o, I just always believed that once it was itchy, then money is coming from somewhere LOL.
2) When you wear the left side of your cloth unconsciously, it means something good is coming.3) When you're going out and you hit your left big toe on something, it means something bad wants to happen meaning you should go back inside your house and sleep. So when next you have job interview and you hit your leg then, just forget about it…LOL.
4) If you have a sore throat, look for a crack in the wall, face the crack then breathe in and out into the crack with your mouth wide open over the crack . I'm not joking but this sh*t works like magic. I remember I did this quite a number of times and it worked.
5) When you can't sleep, it means someone is thinking about you. No wonder I've not been sleeping early of late. Someone has been thinking about me...hmmmnnnn. I want to sleep well tonight please no one should think about me (except you…..you know yasef *eye lashes*)6)When you sneeze, it means someone is talking about you. Even when you have a cold sef, someone is definitely spending their life time thinking and talking about you.
7) When someone says you have grown tall, the person is meant to touch your ear so you won't grow shorter. Now I know why I'm short.
8) When you write with your hand in the sand and a fly perches on it, then someone you love (usually ones mum) would die….this frightened me so I never used to play in the sand.9) When you are eating something and it falls down, you should never pick it because Satan has touched It. Hmnnnnnn... Oya lie that you didn't believe this one.
10) Last but not least, I did this very very well and I'm sure everyone in my generation did. When you see the Cattle Egret (let me remind you well....the bird called 'Leke-Leke'), we'll start flapping our hands and sing 'leke leke bami leke eya bami ba mi leke' (I really don't know the meaning) or we'll say 'leke leke give me white finger' and then we'll be expecting to see a white stain on our fingers and when we eventually do, it was fashion for us o. It was more like fixing and painting nails for us as kids. Mehn the things I did and believed as a kid ehn, God help our generation.Anyways, I’m sure there’s more…you would be surprised some people still believe some of these stories…LOL…so if there's a superstition I forgot to mention, please post in the comment section below. Let's gist and laugh away or gullibility...*winks*….